Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Orphanage visit - 10/04/11

I'm trying to let it sink in. That Friday is approaching quickly. That soon he will be ours! Today I stepped out of our apartment into the smokey cold echoing stairwell, down three flights, went outside and hopped into our driver's van. When I got to the orphanage I signed in as usual. I walked up the stairs where my little boy was already "prepped" (dressed warmly) for my visit with him. The nice doctor who had greeted me in the hall of the orphanage was upstairs and she asked where we are from and then gave me her email address and asked me if I can send her pictures when we get home. I agreed. They brought out a blanket for our little area today, for him to sit on. Yesterday with Scott they had given him a little shapes toy to play with and they brought it out again today. I helped him put the shapes where they go and he enjoyed the praise when he got one in. He also played with a stacking toy, a toy car, plane, ball and his favorite: the phone. He seemed not quite himself today, a bit drowsy. We made the most of it, though. I sang him songs and played games and showed him the window and mirror and other things he enjoys. But he was much more easily frustrated today and wanted to bite things (sometimes out of curiosity or impulse and sometimes out of frustration). He also wanted to lay down a little more today than usual. I don't know, again, if this is because he was tired or drowsy or not feeling well or if it simply looked cozy to lay on the blanket they put out (like maybe that's what it's for?) today.

It's still hard to believe that this sweet little boy's life could go so drastically in one direction or another. If he stayed here, in this orphanage - it would only be another two or three years until, most likely, because of his physical handi-caps, he would be transferred to a mental institution. Every familiar face would go away. Everything would be different. We had the honor to arrive to this country with another adoptive couple who are adopting a little boy from another area. Their little boy is 6 years old and because he cannot walk we was not transferred to an orphanage for older children but to a mental institution. His adoptive mama wrote a post the other day that is heart-breakingly eye opening:


Thank God we are getting Zeph (Wallace) now. Thank God he will not have to go through "transfer" to an institution.






1 comment:

  1. he is so darn adorable!! cannot wait till gotcha day!! before you know it you will all be HOME!!!
    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete