Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Visit with Zephaniah - 1 more to go!

This morning things didn't go as planned. It was Scott's turn to visit Zeph (Wallace) and then when he returned I was planning to go get some groceries and the gifts for the children and caretakers at the orphanage. But Scott wasn't feeling so well, suspecting he ate something that didn't agree with him. So I got to go visit my little Zeph again today! When I first walked in I wasn't sure how well the visit might go because another mama was visiting her little baby boy (possibly a bio mom, or an adoptive/foster mom, I am not sure). So in that tiny space little Zeph was even more limited in where he could go. It was heart-warming to see the sweet mama play and interact with the baby and even say nice things to little Zephaniah in the language he is familiar with. Zephaniah is hyper-alert to anyone coming or going in and out of the room. He is so happy to "show off" whatever activity he's accomplished or new toy or game he's playing at, or even a surprise game of "Coo-coo" (Peek-a-boo) with his caretakers makes him so very happy. To my surprise today's visit went quite well. And once the lady's visit was over Zeph seemed even more happy, not just because there was more room - but his attention was off of someone who he understood - and it was on his mama (me). And what do you know? He gained some
vocabulary today and learned to understand some things I taught him about today - I think a lot was accomplished for such a little visit! I have the most adorable videos (too many to upload all here - but I promise to share my favorites!). One thing I have been working with him on and he started to "get" today: "bleh!" It's the way I've taught my other little ones that "yuck! we don't put that in our mouth". Zeph is very much into peeling things - like wallpaper that's starting to peel at the corner, linoleum flooring that's starting to peel - he is desperate to peel and put small pieces of things into his mouth! Ah! So, without being a "mean" mommy, I just tell them "bleh" or "bleck!" to help them start learning that it's yucky and a negative thing to do. He thinks it's hilarious. I hope we can figure out other ways to stimulate his desire to put things (with good things) into his mouth like that. He's just a curious little guy right now and that's okay with us - there is going to be SO much to be curious about and we'll just have to be on our guard helping him learn all this. He loved playing with the camera case today too. He is a very fast crawler and he was at the door to his day room in a blink and the door was accidentally opened and hit his little head and he cried but today was different - he allowed me (his mama!) to comfort him, rock him, rub his owie and tell him "awe, are you okay?" then distract him with a song. He's starting to allow me to be his mommy.

Tomorrowwe start packing up and we have one last visit in that little room with him. Friday Scott will be running errands with our facilitator to get the official (he's OURS!) court decree (YIPPEE!!!), change the birth certificate to show his new name and to list us as his parents on it. Then it will be a rush to try to get his passport - in the area we are at sometimes it's possible to get passport in one day (but Friday is a "short" day when everything closes early so please PRAY we are able to get it!) - otherwise it takes several days to get.


5 comments:

  1. What a joyous way to start a morning.....reading your blog, watching the videos that are SO cute! Love his little voice. Coo-coo! Praying for you guys and excited for the approaching reality of Zeph becoming a bona fide Center in just a very short little while.

    Thanks for sharing all of this with us.....love you guys and praying over her!

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a delight to wake up and start my day seeing how yours just went! Now I'm gonna call you up after you've had your dinner and I'll be fixing my breakfast! Soon, that will be back to normal and Zeph will be at home on his new time schedule with his new Momma and Papa and sisters and brother! Then, his new Mimi and Papi will want to give him lots of hugs and attention! Can't wait! Love you all! Always in prayer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constantly covering you all in prayer. Love you guys! <3

    "For I am about to do something new.
    See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
    I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
    I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."
    Isaiah 43:19

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.. this is one very sweet little boy. How wonderful for you all. Soon you'll be together.

    ReplyDelete