Saturday, September 24, 2011

No pictures today :(

Today I have no pictures to share :( No video either. Today the staff was different because it's Saturday and the "usual" caretakers seem to be off today. Yesterday they pretty much just left us alone in the room with Zeph (Wallace) and then let us walk him around outside during our second visit. But today a lady came with us to the play/therapy room. She was very nice and I think she was trying to facilitate our visit with him. We studied as best we could what things she did to calm him, re-assure and engage or deter him. It was a great comfort to see that, if he understands what's being said, he does indeed respond (and typically would stop a negative behavior like throwing a toy). It seemed today he was simply confused about what is okay to throw - like a ball - versus what is not okay to throw - like certain other toys. It really made it clear that we are going to have to work hard on language with him to help him with the frustration of not being able to express his needs and wants to us at first. We are trying to learn what words and phrases we can here but I know we'll still fall very short of what he's used to hearing day in and day out. I need to find the "Baby's first 100 words" picture book I packed - it's around here somewhere! I also need to remember to bring his "gotcha day" outfit tomorrow so we can make sure it will fit him (grin!). Tomorrow will be our last visit before court. Our last visit to a little orphan boy. We are so excited to have him be officially (of course he already is in our hearts) and legally ours. Then more waiting - 10 days of waiting for the court decree that says he's ours! Then errands, birth certificate, passport on the 11th day, a Friday, a short (everything closes early) day. We hope to get it all done Friday the 7th of October but no telling yet if it will go that smoothly. If everything goes fast and smooth we hope to have gotcha day Friday (7th) or Saturday (8th) but could be a Monday (9th) or Tuesday (10th) if documents are still needing to be finished.

It's more cloudy and overcast today and it's causing sinus pressure to me - but our Zeph seemed to be okay, despite the weather change. We are so glad he's feeling okay, since we had been told last time there was a weather change it seemed to have caused him pain like a sinus headache or something.

2 comments:

  1. I am curious about something. Are Wallace and Anastasia in the same orphanage or different? Wallace looks like he is adjusting and taken care of. Anastasia does not. If they are in the same, I don't understand why they look so different. If they are in different it makes sense. I do hope for the best for you and I pray for all the ones that are left that they may find families to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are in the same orphanage but in different "groups". Wallace (our Zephaniah) is in a "high-functioning" baby group. She may be in a totally different "category" as far as routine and interaction. :(

    ReplyDelete